Are you 'reading' this oped on paper, or are you 'screening' it online? If you are reading this oped commentary in the printed version of the newspaper, you are "reading" it, of course. But if you are reading this article online, on the paper's website, are you "reading" it or "screening" it? Although the word does not exist yet with this new defintion, one could conjecture that what we do online is not reading per se, but "screening." When we read news online we read a text printed digitally on a computer screen. Perhaps we need a new word to describe this phenomenon. When I asked a senior computer industry reporter at the New York Times, John Markoff, about this new term, he answered in a one-word email reply:"Hmmmmmmm." I think he didn't quite cottoned to the new term. But at least he was listening. Can anyone just coin a new word and make it stick? No, but new words are coined everyday, and some stick and some don't. Time will tell whether or not "screening" (meaning "reading information on a computer screen, as distinct from reading a print newspaper or magazine or book") will stay with us or not. For now, though, the new word has been accepted and listed by the editors at an online dictionary in California called The Urban Dictionary. Screening is defined there as: "To read text on a computer screen, cellphonescreen, Kindle screen or PDA screen or BlackBerry screen; replaces the term "reading" which now only refers to reading print text on paper." Example: "I hate reading print newspapers now. I do all my screening online." The word is so new that most readers -- and "screeners" -- have never heard of it. James Fallows, an editor for the Atlantic Monthly now living in Beijing, told me that word was "interesting" but that he was "not likely to be an early adopter of it." What's your take on this new word? Are you a reader or a screener, or both? And speaking of reading on a screen, the new Amazon Kindle e-reader that is for sale now in the U.S. has spawned a new verb about reading on a screen as well. Kindle users often refer to their reading a book on the Kindle screen as "kindling", and they sometimes write on their blogs that they "like to kindle bestsellers" in their Kindles. And this word, to kindle, as a verb, has also been accepted by the editors at the Urban Dictionary in California. Go figure.